MySQL on mi-linux
MySQL is a very popular, open source, freely available, relational database management system available from MySQL.com
It has been installed on mi-linux and forms the backbone of most web applications/resources available to students, including this wiki!
Registering to use MySQL on mi-linux
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REGISTER to use MySQL on mi-linux unless you wish to create your own database. A number of freely accessible databases exist on the server, which can be viewed through the phpMyAdmin administration application, also installed on the server. Login to phpMyAdmin using "demo" as the account with no password to see the freely available databases.
HOW TO REGISTER
If you wish to create your own database, follow these steps
1. Visit https://mi-linux.wlv.ac.uk/mysqlreg - NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE
2. Read and agree to the terms and conditions, paying particular attention to the note that all student databases are deleted at the beginning of each academic year unless prior arrangements to keep databases are made with the MySQL administrator via email at email@example.com
3. Enter your university account and password and click register
THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE REGISTRATION PROCESS
4. You will be sent an email with a confirmation code - read the instructions in the email to complete the registration.
5. Once registered, you can administer your database using the phpMyAdmin web interface.